1st week in the U S of A

  After a grueling flight from Malaysia to Kuwait (8 hours) Kuwait to London (6 hours) London to New York (7 hours) I survived! That's not even non-inclusive of transit time! The flight was draggy as fuck. To my surprise, everywhere I went was colder than Malaysia! Yes, even Kuwait! I thought the middle east would be warmer but my guess was wrong. 

  I made a friend from London to Kuwait. Her name is Aisyah and she so happened to be traveling from Jakarta to New York herself. She sat 5 seats across from my brother and I. It was not easy being an adult and supervising my little brother. This would be my first time flying alone! 

  I really miss the warm weather of Malaysia but now I'm thinking twice of flying 24 bloody hours back! Is there any other form of transportation? oh don't know... like a black hole? I can't do long distance journey. I get motion sickness. Did I tell you guys the TV was faulty on my flight? My TV was the god damn window! Nevertheless it was a beaut...


you can even see my iPhone if you look closer...
My butter is cuter than you!
  I boarded a Kuwait Airways flight which was eh. It was okay. The toilet maintenance was terrible. The food was edible. The entertainment system sucked. The seats were uncomfortable. Okay enough of me whining. I am indeed very blessed that my brother and I had a safe flight. 

  We landed around 6:30 p.m. American time. I was so ready to give up airplane food for mama's cooking! I was so delighted to see her after 4 years +. We made our way to Long Island and nobody told me it would be a 2 hour drive from the airport to Long Island. I haven't gotten the chance to go to Manhattan yet. 

  The experience here is totally different compared to when I was in Queens the last time. There are a few things I have uncovered and discovered.

1. Bagel is life

These doughnut-shaped things are called bagels and I ate them for lunch. I was looking for rice and ended up eating this bulky doughnut. You can eat it with egg or cream cheese like I do! It's pretty filling. 

2. There are no lights on Long Island highways
    For someone who's about to get her license, this is bad. Long Island is rural area. That explains why there are no lights on the highways. You get blinded by the headlights coming from the opposing direction and deer is on the roadkill menu. 

3. Arizona tea is $2.99 



I heard this is slowly becoming a big deal in Asia. Imagine this but a gallon. It's only $2.99! 

4. All foods are super-sized!
    Back in Malaysia, fun-sized was was the normal size. Here, super-sized meant extra extra extra large in Malaysian size. Do that even make sense? Everything is big here with even bigger appetites!

5. It's cold
    I am not cocking. This weekend supposed to be the coldest out of the whole winter this year. Just in the nick of time! Right this moment its -3 degrees celsius and it gets even colder at night. I get so amused when vapor comes out my mouth hahaha

6. Cops everywhere
    They just appear everywhere! & just like in the movies, they pull over whoever they want and always look cool doing it. Super badass I tell you!

7. Americans call you by your middle name
    Thilakawathy is apparently too difficult to pronounce. Heck even Malaysians find it difficult to pronounce. They call me by Camillo. Advantages of having a cool as middle name. Flaunt it! 

8. Your English automatically sucks
    I get this anxiety talking to white people. I don't know why but my English just comes crashing down when I converse. I feel like cutting my tongue off. People here in the Hamptons randomly assume your Hispanic and talks Spanish to you. I have the strong urge to say 'Por favor, no comprende' but I think I'll embarrass myself.

9. You eat and eat and eat
    Given that I have reunited with my mom, all she does is cook for us. I have been eating and eating and eating to the point I have bowel problems (I know TMI) Don't be surprised if I grow sideways. Booty is the new pink right? It's winter, what option do I have? Eat and hibernate! 

10. You shower once every 2 days
      I know... I know... eewww Thilaaa.. but its true! Showering everyday may dry your skin especially in this cold weather. I remember how I used to complain being sticky and oily if I hadn't showered in 6 hours but here the grease is what you need to keep warm! P.S. I showered today okay! Don't judge me. 

For some reason, I'm pretty clueless on what to blog. What are the odds right? Here are a little snippets to Thila goes Long Island! How cheesy...

At JFK airport

Outside my window
Chief the wiener dog
A selfie
Victoria Secret goodies
Me being vain

American Maggi

Keds by Taylor Swift

For more pictures, visit my Instagram and follow me! For live updates follow me on my twitter! 

Signing off,
Thilamisu

Comments


  1. I’m in love with your blog! It was so interesting to read your posts and also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos!

    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts