Hair Update!!!

  I have been dying to update you guys on my latest hair! If you followed me through my bleaching journey, you would already know how much I fucked up by now. With a little guidance from YouTube and products from Sally's Beauty Supply, I manage to pull through! Times like these, I wish I had an elder sister to help me out and not question my desires.

  So, I figured out the problem to bleaching my hair. I have pitch black Asian hair. This hair is very hard to lift unless you decide to take the suicidal risk of using a strong bleach with 40 developer. It's almost like Russian Roulette, it's either it works out or you go bald. In my case, I was using the wrong bleach all along. The bleach I used only lifted 5 levels which was why I bleached my hair multiple times without getting the desired pale yellow. I got myself a big tub of L'oreal's Quick Blue bleach which enabled me to lift my hair 7 levels. I went in for the kill. I used 40 developer (peroxide) and voila! I achieved that pale yellow. 

  Let me tell you this, bleaching your own hair is not easy. Here are some tips:

  • Bleach your tips then make your way to your roots (the hair at the top of your head releases more heat causing the color to lift very quickly) 
  • Do NOT bleach the hair on the sides of your face, it can be uneven. 
  • You have to be quick so that different parts of your hair don't differ color wise from each other.
  • Use coconut oil on your hair and skin (neck, hands, arms, ears, forehead) to avoid the bleach burn. - I swear I had lumps and bumps on my skin. 
  • At most, use a 30 developer with 7 level lifting bleach. 
  • Only use 40 developer if you are confident your hair can take it. 


  This was the result 

   The color basically turned platinum blonde at this point but it didn't last long. Why? Some parts of my hair was white and some were yellow. It's not a simple task to section those yellow bits of hair and re-bleach or tone it. Maybe somewhere in the future I will rock platinum blonde but I will leave it to a professional. 

  My hair at this point was light enough to go for Titanium silver. Tada. 
In daylight 1
Lipstick: Velour Liquid Lipstick in Androgyny by Jefferee Star
In daylight 2 
In daylight 3 
  I don't know if you can tell but the coverage of the color isn't too good. You can still see the yellows here and there shining through but it was bearable. My favorite phase however is this next image! 

  I think the color reached its peak here. The Titanium was fading and it gave out this fluorescent glow, almost. It was the brightest phase that I have faced and I wish it lasted longer. I felt like Storm here haha 

  Like I mentioned, this didn't last long and the yellows were showing through. However, I got to a light ash blonde phase which is *heart eyes emoji. Again, I wish this lasted longer. 

  I got a lot of good feedback from these 2 shameless selfies of mine. I totally dig this look and till next time, I shall rock this look longer. The only problem I face with these hair colors is that I have to retouch up my roots ever so constantly so I don't have that black hair protruding through my scalp. It's a little off to have beautiful blonde hair and black roots. I cringe. 

  You would never guess what happened next. As the Titanium faded and my yellow hair sheered through, my hair turned into this pale mossy green. It was so gross. It looked like something you would sneeze on to a tissue. I couldn't care for my hair given the shape it was in. 

  I went to Ricky's NYC (which was closing in East Hampton *sad face emoji) and decided to try purple. Initially, I wanted to go for pastel pink but I couldn't deal with my black roots and figured there will be a next time. I made up my mind to try this product Sparks. 

  HOLY HONEY BALLS! I kid you not, this is such a good quality hair dye. I bought 2 tubes thinking 1 tube wouldn't be enough for my hair but I barely even used half a tube! Of course, I diluted it with some white conditioner and I didn't even need that much product on. The whole mixture was this Barney the Purple Dinosaur shade! I didn't like it at first because I wanted more purple and less pink. P.S. I always thought Barney was Pink (in the late 90s - 2000s) 

  My hair looks like a wig. It's so shiny and looks healthy, to be honest. The color is so vibrant. It says 'long-lasting bright hair color' and I am actually buying that. So here's the big reveal!

  The reactions I got were wonderful! Some said I look like Hit Girl, I really do see the resemblance. Some preferred the Titanium over purple. Some preferred the purple over Titanium. Some said I look good in any color (I have yet to find out). 

  I personally freaked out when I washed my hair. I was so scared of what my mom would think. I didn't expect the color to be all up in yo face! After a day, I slowly learnt to love it. At least now, I can prove to my kids I'm a cool mama. I felt I hit a new level of crazy and boldness when I colored my hair purple. 

  Hope you enjoyed this catch-up!

thilamisu

Comments

Popular Posts