DSGWM: Daughter | Sister | Girlfriend | Wife | Mother


  Being a girl in general, is not easy. I'm sure the female community would agree. From period cramps right up to the lucky man who's going to change your last name. It's a constant battle for us. Decisions, decisions. 

  Recently, I've been thinking a lot for myself. Life matters - education, career, money, family, marriage and kids. I know what you're thinking..... WOAH . I know, me too! This question dawned upon me. 

Why the bloody hell would an 18 going on 19-year-old girl think so far? 

  Well, why not? I did some math of my own. Everyone goes through 5-year intervals of their lives. There's pre-school, primary school, secondary school, college/uni, career etc. I was never conscious of how fast time ticks. The last I remember I was this baby girl who loved dressing up and in a blink of an eye, I am this 18-year-old. I can only imagine how papa feels seeing me grow up under his armpit to the lady I am today. 

  I have come up with this special segment in my blog where I would tell you about my transition from girl to lady, lady to woman. I picture having this blog for a lifetime. Therefore, this portion of the blog would be through different perspectives. Starting off with the daughters perspective and so on. I have renamed it to DSGWM (not so creative,I know). 

  Growing up, I have been spoiled. However, that didn't last long. Along the way, I've had my speed bumps here and there. This part of my life, I like to call 'The Decision-Making Phase'. I have to choose the track lanes to my destination. I have to choose my pathway to my destiny. I have to be a young adult. I'm not a girl, not yet a woman as Britney Spears would say. 

  I never liked the idea of rushing to grow up. I grew up at my own pace. Nonetheless, I have attempted to speed up the process. It has come to my attention that some people had to grow up fast at some point of their lives - teen pregnancy, death, abandonment, financial instability etc. This results to them behaving immature at the most inappropriate times. You ought to believe that maturing at a young age helps deal with maturing into adulthood. They would take the opportunity to behave immaturely for they have never had the chance to do so when they were young.  

  There was once someone called me IMMATURE and told me to GROW UP. It gave me mental stress just listening to the person repeat it like a broken record. I didn't agree nor deny the fact that I was immature. The first half of me was still a little girl who wanted to have her fun and behave like a kid and fool around but the second half of me wanted to stay put and be sophisticated and present myself well. This persons argument was invalid. I am immature, yes, that's because I'm growing, I'm learning, I'm transitioning. Growing up doesn't happen overnight. 

  Plenty do admit I have a mature mindset for my age. I usually laugh it off with a joke saying I'm a 70-year-old woman stuck in a 12-year-old body. I don't want to fool you. I wish I could fly to Neverland and never grow up! I can promise myself that I will always be a kid at heart. I will not allow the world to turn me bitter. 

Signing off,
Thilamisu

  

Comments

Popular Posts