First day of class

  Education has been the topic that I have avoided in many conversations. It became an insecurity. Knowing me personally, I am always hungry for knowledge (just not Math). I was that schoolgirl who made sure she had 4 sharpened 2B pencils alongside all my armor I needed in my pencil case. I color coded every year (didn't last for more than 2 months). I made school into my 'fun place'. Sounds rather kinky. 

  I have to admit, I am not academically successful nor am I an athlete. Never played truant and isn't considered a goody two shoes. I started off well during my primary education. I had no choice, really. If you didn't get an A, you got the hanger. No, no don't pity me. It's normal if you're Asian. 

  During my secondary school days, I began to fluctuate. I realized I was on the safe side when I was in the 2nd class but I was the worst in the 1st class. Smart but not THAT smart. My interest began to show clearly. I was not a structured person but a rather creative person. Always different. Always trying to impress. 

The contents below may be touchy (to me) 

  If you didn't already know, I have been out of school for two extensive years. While everyone enrolled themselves into college to further their mental cultivation, I sat at home crying. I felt left out. uneducated. I felt like a concealed firework. I wanted to burst out with all my talent and capabilities but was unable to do so. So, you could've guessed. I burnt and died down. 

  After 7 months residing in the U.S. I finally am receiving a form of education. Earlier in the year, I brought with me my transcripts. I had them translated a month before the semester started. Unfortunately, knowing me for not being ahead of time, was too late. I could have started my Fall intake but getting my transcripts evaluated would have taken longer and I was not able to enroll on time. I was tremendously bummed out. Crying, yet again. I felt the pace that I was running, grew slower. I couldn't keep up. My friends continuing their degree and me? Still a high school graduate. 

  Taking a year off after high school is okay but two years can be overwhelming. I wanted to avoid the evaluation because it would (I assume) take forever. On the other hand, I didn't want to spend my three months not learning anything. I resorted to taking a Web Design class but I don't think I'm skilled enough to rob a bank for 10k. 

  I met with my counselor and he gave me three options: 

  1. Get my transcripts evaluated.
  2. Take up basic subjects (from high school) and also college subjects but with no financial aid.
  3. Taking TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion) classes and the test to get a high school diploma. 
I chose option three. I bet your groaning, thinking I'm silly for wanting to go through 'high school' all over again. You know what? I'm contented with my decision. 

  I started class yesterday and was pretty darn excited. 
The only shot I took (I'm not good with discrete picture taking) 
  I have classes for 3 months. To seal the deal, I will take my TASC test and get a high school diploma. I'm still unsure if I want to continue college in SCCC here in Long Island or go to the city for community college. 

  I picture my college life in a campus-ish scene. Green grass to sit on and laugh with your friends under a tree like how they promote it on college catalogs and posters. Once I'm done with my two years in community college, I aim to get myself into Columbia U or NYU. What's next? Probably move to L.A. and land myself an internship in Silicon Valley and extend my career. 

  Personal note: I can see how your dreams have become more defined than it was 7 months ago. Thila girl, I wish you all the very best. You can do astonishing things if you put your heart and mind to it. 

thilamisu

Comments

Popular Posts