My Uke

Kala-K-Soprano 

  I celebrated my 19th birthday just recently and a lot of people did me a favor and gave me $$$ instead of gifts. I know, I know, it's the thought that counts. 

  Like every other birthday, I make a wishlist. I write down from necessities all the way to the impossible. It didn't really matter if I had to check all of them out. I made wishlists prior to refreshing my memory of what I want. It's a selfish person's sinful pleasure. I listed things I couldn't afford. Fret not, I am however good at budgeting. That's kinda my thing. I'm that girl who hides in aisle's counting her money before queuing up to the cashier. Good habit, really.

  I got the chance to get a ukulele after the longest time. I remember adoring ukulele's from afar. Pacing back and forth in front Yamaha in Aeon Bukit Tinggi. At that time, RM300 was big money, it still is. I constantly told papa about it and how I 'promised' to put interest more than I did with the piano. I dropped piano lessons because I was uninterested. It was a 'my-mom-told-me-to' kinda thing. Tiger moms have their way.

  Today, I still play the piano but not like Beethoven and Mozart play but amateur play. I learned by ear and also YouTube. Totally blind when it comes to reading music notes. Instruments and I don't go along very well.

  I picked up the guitar once and then complained I couldn't play because calluses suck. I hated how they hurt your fingers (I sound like a brat). My wrist would click after playing the guitar and later on I gave up hope. I kinda swore that I wouldn't even think of picking up a string instrument. 

And then... AHA!

  What about the ukulele? It's small and fits ideally for a petite girl like me who has weak girly hands. After waiting for a very long time, I could afford it and I bought it off of Austin Bazaar via eBay for UNDER $100. I was stoked! I was expecting my package to arrive on Monday but it came through yesterday! I opened the bag and there it was, the Kala-K-Soprano and it was so small. I haven't held a ukulele in years and seeing that precious was like laying eyes on a newborn. Everything was on point, the sound (after it has been tuned of course),the smell, the mahogany wood, the texture, the acoustics. 

  I named her Daisy. There's nothing more cheerful than the sound of a ukulele. I have definitely made an investment of a lifetime. Being so estranged from music for the longest time, this ukulele gave me a little hope. I told myself "this little one and I are destined for greater things". You could say I'm going through a musical depression and Daisy is my healing. I want no empty promises of me making a cover anytime soon, que sera sera, whatever will be, will be.

thilamisu

Comments

Popular Posts