Skincare

WARNING! RAW FOOTAGE OF MY FACE
  I'm going to try something fun and *pretend* I am a beauty guru and take you on a journey through my skincare problems, routines and products. 

  Before getting to the good part, I realize I have a lot to compensate for, on my blog. In the month of October, I wanted to tell you guys about my 19th birthday, Halloween, dyeing my hair Silver (finally!) etc. but didn't. So, I am going to catch up on that very soon! 

Okay, let's move on!

  I don't know a lot about skincare. In fact, growing up, was a challenge. I had hideous acne problems and was constantly picked on for having pimples before anyone else. Boy, don't you just hate that puberty phase. 

  It started off when I was 7 years old (I know, it seems almost impossible). I rocked bangs when I was in primary school, I was a jock, athletic and I would constantly sweat through the strands of my hair. That was the start of my acne problems. Since I had hair covering my forehead, it became a dirt, sweat and oil retention. I had these baby pimple bumps. They didn't have any pus or sebum at the time. I had this very bad habit to scrape these bumps with my finger nails and scratched on them until they bled. I felt so much at ease knowing there wasn't anything 3D on my forehead. Unfortunately, I made it worse. They became bumpier than ever and left dark scars. 

  When I was 11/12 years old that's when puberty hit. No, puberty did not give me boobs. It gave me acne. By that time, my entire forehead was covered with pimples. They varied like Christmas ornaments! Some big, some small, some red and some ready to pop! It was traumatizing. I had strong beliefs that I would live with this acne for the rest of my life. I wanted to treat my skin but there were so many obstacles in between. If you hadn't already know, I have a football-field sized forehead and I hate flipping my hair back and exposing that. When I was in school, I used to get picked on because I had so many pimples on my forehead. Mind you, the rest of my face was fairly clear but my forehead... I wanted to cover it up so badly but I didn't want to make it worse. I also used to pop everything! I didn't care if it was 'ready'. I had no mercy when it came to blemishes. The battle scars was the ugliest. Towards the end of the school term, I pinned my bangs up bit by bit and eventually didn't give a fuck about what others had to say. 

  In high school, maturing into a young lady, I started to use facial products. I realized that facial wash alone couldn't do the trick. I learnt that you need 3 core products. A facial cleanser, toner and moisturizer. I despised using moisturizer given that my skin is already and oil plantation itself. I used Oxy, Clearasil, Clean & Clear, you name it! Almost any generic brand out there. However the one product line that is super underrated and has helped me through my healing was Aiken Tea tree oil products. I used to get it at Tesco's or Giant back home. It's unusual how you can't get it in Guardian's or Watson's but that product line was my holy grail. 

   
  I would recommend this to someone of the similar skin type as me. You know, oily, breaks out a lot, dries when in contact with salicylic acid. This has work wonders for me. I'm pretty bummed out I can't get it here in the US. This calls for improvisation. 

  Ever since I left high school, my skin has been in the best shape than it has ever been in my whole lifetime so far. I stayed out of the sun, drank a lot of water, ate foods that contain high antioxidants and treating my skin and wearing yogurt masks! 

  Coming here (the US) and adapting to the harsh weather conditions is actually tougher than I thought. I thought to myself 'Oh the weather is cooler, therefore, I wouldn't break out as much' I take that back. Never would I possibly think, as a person with oily skin, that my skin would dry up and peel. Irritation after irritation all winter long. I tried the new Neutrogena grapefruit line, specifically catered to acne-prone skin and it dried my skin up so bad it hurt. I decided to use a bar soap for 7 months to wash my face. 

  Now, I am using Cetaphil products which I find so helpful for all skin types. The cleanser is a gel type substance which doesn't foam and the moisturizer isn't sticky and also enables your skin to absorb the moisture. I got this toner today - Dickinson's Witch Hazel Daily Facial Toner. I just tried it and it leaves such a refreshing feel and doesn't sting! 


 The only issue I am dealing with are whiteheads and blackheads. These pore-clogging monsters are a nightmare! I would suggest products with volcanic ash because they have magnetic properties to draw out these dirt and oils from your pores, that's what I've heard though. 

  As for acne scars, I am finding a way to get rid of them. I used to use Dermatix for scars and that thing can take affect in 2 days! I haven't tried it on my face yet but it's worth a shot!

  A skincare tip, avoid thick make up application. Especially foundation and concealer and pressed powder. After a while, all the excess product will accumulate and clog your pores. If you can afford it, go for a facial every month. Also, if you are willing to break the bank for make up, you should be also willing to break the bank for skincare products. 

Note: Not all skin types are the same. Therefore, I wouldn't expect the same results. I'm just sharing what worked out for me. Hope that helped. 

thilamisu 

Comments

  1. i have tried aiken product and it does work. thanks for sharing though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts