My Diploma

  I have to admit, I hit a rough patch this week. I had to mend a broken heart and pull myself together. It's difficult cheering yourself up with lots of alone time and no friends to take you out but never mind that. 

  Today is a Sunday and something came in the mail today. Who would have thought I would get mail on a Sunday! Printed on the front of the envelope NEW YORK STATE OF EDUCATION DEPARTMENT HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY PROGRAM. I froze. I froze with excitement. I froze with anxiety. I can't even begin to express the series of emotions my poor heart was feeling. 
  As always, I had with me my trusty box cutter from work and slowly sliced the top portion of the envelope. Being the perfectionist that I am, I made sure I made a clean cut. As I reached the end of the envelope I was like fuck it, the suspense is killing me. I slowly pulled out the contents of the letter and I saw this piece of paper with a oddly decorated frame. It looked like a certificate. I couldn't believe my eyes and I had to double check if I passed every subject. The minimum passing score from each subtest is 500 and with all my hard work, I scored above 500 for all my subjects (Even Social Studies, which I thought I flunked). I was over the moon. I mean I still am over the moon. 

  It's weird how the Universe fits all the bits and pieces of your life. The Universe removes what is necessary to make room for something better. During the Dark Ages, I got into deep deep depression and not long after that, I had my flight booked for the US. I'm beginning to see what the Universe has to offer. If the Universe could speak, this is what it would say to me. 

  "All this while you put others before you and it's your turn to put yourself young grasshopper. All form of love will fail in terms of relationships for you but a successful life awaits you" 

  I think I should start making fortune cookies. I sound pretty wise. My self-doubt feeds my insecurity but being surrounded by people who believe in me made the difference. I mean c'mon! The support from my coworker, my parents, my friends, my teachers, even the clerk at my local bank! I have received undying support from them. 

  This is it. I am one step closer to getting into college. I am going to live my dream to wear my college's sweatshirt and go for game events (even if I don't get American football), I am going to be one of those kids you see on the college catalogs sitting on the grass, by the tree, under the sun all in smiles! 

  I am going to have the chance to expand my potential and excel. I have a burning desire to learn and 2 years is long ass break. In 2 years, I'll own an associates degree and 4 years after that, my bachelors degree. Just thinking about it makes my heart fly. 

  Despite me piecing this post word by word, none of the words in the Oxford Dictionary can string the amount of gratitude I have in a sentence. My life is buffering but its getting there and once all that is done, my life will run smoothly with no interruptions like a YouTube video. There might be ads here and there. Some we can choose to skip, some we have to sit through till it ends. Nevertheless, it will complete. 

  I chuck my deuces up to my guardian angel for putting up with me. You're literally my angel in disguise because it feels like you're not here but then you make things happen and I am reminded that you are watching over me. 

thilamisu

Comments

Popular Posts